LIFE'S A TRAVEL AND MEMORIES, THE PROOF!

COPYRIGHT NOTE

THE PHOTOS & CONTENTS ARE NOT TO BE TRANSFERRED/CONVERTED TO ANY OTHER MEDIUM. COPYRIGHT BREACH IS AN OFFENCE.

Saturday, May 6, 2017

BHADRA BASH, APR-2017



A much anticipated trip to Bhadra Tiger reserve, though I ended up shooting birds…a lot of them. A bash need not always be ravished and loud, so was this trip of mine. Quiet, inducing and craving…































This is the first time Iam stepping into this region when the sun was at its shortest distance from this latitude of the earth. Malnad, mostly, had always enriched my dreams with its nostalgic monsoon drenched landscapes and humble lifestyle, and a trip to there under searing heat was never on the agenda until this story was enabled by an unexpected prompt from a new trip partner who was about to depart from the office I was working in for the past 10 years. Many of my colleagues find it interesting to do a jaunt with me to those distant locations, but only few of them had ever managed to find their time to be a part of those unforgettable stories and Vijay was one amongst them. I had always been averse to a summer jaunt, thanks to the sweltering and humid departures followed by eye blinding dawns the day next, that all of my drenched memories from the past would be meticulously scripted around the lonely countryside of the beautiful monsoon lands. Nevertheless; I decided to do this trip for I was somehow interested to witness the region that I loved the most when she was in her poorest form but just couple of months away from her annual transformation into a bundle of beauty and bounty resulting from unrelenting rains from the west. It had been a while now since I sold my VW Jetta 2.0 DSG to its second owner and her absence made me noticeably weak, but relaxed, on the national highway under the cover of my favorite darkness that had always pushed me to be on the limit. After picking up my friend from the metro station near my home, we wrestled our way, cunningly, through the mad weekend traffic to cross the first 100 KM mark from the city, for after this; traffic and rough road patches are eternally eliminated and all it took to cover the Kms were music, fuel and a pair of sleepless eyes. My father’s Grand i10 was nimble and efficient, not much seen in a Hyundai, that by now my doubt about travelling in this naughty hatch disintegrated and I began to drive her fast. We hit our favorite tea stop just before Tumkur, albeit a bit late, and though we usually stop at the CCD 10 Kms further from there; the ambience of this basic tea shop somehow, over the years, has gradually influenced me to view it as a “customary halt”. Post this halt, it was a rapid drive through the very familiar national highway, which reaches out to the west coast at Honnavar, that had the potential to earn a reputation of being one of the best driver’s road should it get rid of its “surprise” speed-breakers and “unsuspecting” potholes that emerge when you had just begun to press the accelerator a bit hard, lured by her intoxicating long curves and powerful short straights that challenge your ego like a boss. Though I would love to, I never had the opportunity so far to drive through this manic road under the cover of darkness and it was on my wish list, as we went past the beautiful countryside waiting for the monsoon rains. We were nearing the “check-in time” at our resort, the River Tern Lodge, and so we were in terms of distance as the road to Bhadra appeared on the windscreen with an inviting aura that was enabled by the abundant “richness” of Bhadra’s massive water reservoir, which also happened to be our place of stay for the next 2days. I never, in the past, had stayed inside a dam and what was about to emerge in the next few minutes gave a new perspective to my understanding of relaxation and enjoyment… 

We were impressed, if not blown away, as I and Vijay slowly crossed the hanging bridge which connected the main island with the secondary and over there, was located our reserved cottage. After a long drive there is nothing more relaxing than “falling” on a big soft bed, and it was more than special when from the same bed I could view millions of cubic feet of water studded with distant islands topped with thrilling forests and hear to a flamboyant quietness that was unheard of in my recent times. The fact that our noon safari, preceded by a sumptuous buffet lunch, was about to start in couple of hours incredibly tested the ability to overcome my inherent laziness, more so, considering the “luxurious” ambience I was pampered with. The River Tern Lodge is a part of Jungle lodges and resorts, Karnataka, and they possess the privilege of having a presence in every major nature reserve within that state, thanks to the influence and funding from the state administration, thus helping to establish an enhancing environment for a quality weekend in the wild. With loads of will power, to discard the laziness, I made it to the pickup point where the traditional “open-top” Jeep was waiting for the participants of the evening safari to hop in. When we departed from the resort I saw the other group of people, as a distant speck near the banks of the reservoir, who had opted for the boat safari and per my instinct at that point of time; their option was wrong and this instinct of mine itself would be proven wrong when we would assemble back at the resort couple of hours plus 1 more later. I knew south Indian forests were more beautiful than their northern counterparts, but they also hid well the predators and other mammals within their amassing beauty thus making a “spotting” more difficult than anywhere else, nevertheless, I pursued. Without a single spotting, me and Vijay returned back to the resort for our relaxing evening tea when we were stunned to learn from the group, which went on the boat, that they were blessed with a sighting of the top most “reward” of the Indian forests, the Tiger. Nature is difficult to predict, but not difficult to be with and dampen our disappointments, losses, ego and fear as we both had the drink of our life when we settled on the “dark” banks of Bhadra, post sunset, with bottles of Budweiser and the immaculate gust from the massive spread of water pushed us to the brink of ecstasy. The next morning we were the first to hit the water, and so also during the evening as these 2 water safaris introduced me to the “world of birds” for the first time ever and I was amazed how cute these creations were. I came to Bhadra for something else, but eventually I was influenced to capture birds in their beautiful habitat and that is how surprising are the decisions of nature. Completely spell bound, we concluded our stay @ “River tern – Bhadra” with one last Jeep safari on the early morning of our third day, which was also the day of our departure, from this region of cravings and memories. Around noon, the resort wore a deserted ambience as most of the guests had departed and we were amongst the last to wave a bye before the hitting the road to Bangalore. I always had seen this region when she was drenched, when she was in her elements, but; I never had imagined that I will meet her when she was dry and dusty and when I did; all I felt was “nothing”…as my lust for darkness, cold and lashing rains provoked my memories from the past to hide this recent one…though I struggled to keep those moments on the banks of Bhadra with Budweiser, blinding darkness and deafening gust alive and afloat…It was a special one and something that I had never gone through before in my life…I was already dreaming about my next road trip to this region and when that would materialize, the 2017 monsoon would have set in…

K.D

No comments:

Post a Comment